A dear friend of mine, along with her husband, decided that she would begin homeschooling 2 of their 3 children this year. After previously having them enrolled in private school, they made this decision after much thought, consideration and prayer. Here are 5 things that have surprised her about homeschooling so far.
- I’ve found that it’s hurtful when someone criticizes our decision, without full understanding of homeschooling, as if we don’t love our kids enough to do what’s right for them.
- I get to watch my kids learn things for the first time and be a part of their excitement and the confidence that is built from their new skill. I watched my daughter read her first word without assistance.
- Rather than driving each other crazy, the way you might expect, it has actually strengthened my relationship with my kids and brought our family even closer together.
- I work from home, so it has been so rewarding to be able to show my kids what work actually looks like. I also get to show them how to handle the boundaries I set for them for when I’m on the phone or working.
- Our evenings are filled with sports and other activities, just like most families out there. Its wonderful that I get to spend more time with them by homeschooling during the day, since evenings are usually so busy and hectic.
5 Things by Teah Tracy