The following post was provided by guest blogger and owner of The Little Gym of Pearland, Kevin Berry.
Giving up sweets? Nixing that bad habit? Check out these 5 New Year’s resolutions that will make an impact on the entire family:
- Get moving as a family. Make exercise a family affair by having an indoor dance party, an outdoor soccer or basketball game, or by going for a nightly walk, run or bike ride around the neighborhood.
- Make reading together a daily habit. Studies have found that reading together helps to strengthen bonds between parent and child and helps children develop important listening and communication skills. Pro tip: plan a visit to your local public library every other week to pick up new books; this will help keep the habit new and exciting.
- Give back more often. Contributing to a good cause improves overall happiness, well-being and self esteem. Give back as a family by donating unused toys or clothes to a local charity or volunteer your time at a local food pantry or animal shelter. Click here for more tips on giving back as a family.
- Unplug every once and a while. Screen time is unavoidable; we spend hours on end with electronics for either work or play. Vow to spend at least one day per month without screens. Opt for a day in nature; go for a hike or long family bike ride, end your day with books, board games, and a family dance party.
- Mandate family time. With busy family schedules it’s hard to find the time to actually sit down and enjoy each other’s company. Mandate 5-10 hours per week where you can all sit down and work on a puzzle, family activity, or outdoor game.
For more information about The Little Gym of Pearland:
Kevin Berry | Owner & Sheriff of Serious Fun
The Little Gym of Pearland | p: 713.340.0042
9607 Broadway St, Ste. 105 | Pearland, TX 77584